Wednesday, January 7, 2015

"Distressing" a Picture Frame in Under 10 Minutes!

Now that the Holiday's are over and all of my festive decor is put away, I find myself wishing for a more nicely decorated house.

Lucky for me I'm pretty darn crafty, so I have been a busy little beaver so far this week.

The hardest part about decorating is not being able to make any major changes to the house (we rent) but I a having a ton of fun sprucing up the place!

So, consider this a sneak preview of what's to come over the next couple weeks, as I redecorate, organize and share some awesome (and easy) DIY projects!

"Distressing" a picture frame the quick and easy way!

My goal when i redo any part of my house, is to do it without having to buy anything, and this time is no different! 

I love to reuse things, paint them, change them in whatever way I need to make it into what I want.

This time, it was  a plain black picture frame. 

(Imagine before picture here)

Seriously, I didn't think to take a picture before I got started, plus my camera died so it'll be phone photos for the time being.  

But, it was a plain black picture frame with a plain picture in it.

I can't giveaway my new kitchen theme, but let's just say, I wanted it to look a little different to go nicely with the room.

Here is what you will need:

  • Frame
  • Cream colored acrylic paint
  • paper towel
That's it!

First, put a few drops of paint on your paper towel.





Next, rub it lengthwise on your frame.




It should look something like this:




Do this all the way around your frame.  I did the top only, not pressing paint into the smaller crevices or on the sides of the frame.  Give it a little dimension.

Last step, dab a very small amount of paint on your paper towel, and make an "S" shape down one side of your frame, on top of the paint that should be almost dry by now.  After that, take your paper towel (don't add any more paint) and buff the "S" shape until it looks more like random grain than and "S".

Repeat on each side.

Once it dries, and it shouldn't take long, add your picture and you're done!

Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes for the whole thing!




I used a piece of an old rice bag for my backing, and a great picture from an old canning book. 

Total cost of this project, $0.00, because I used what I already had!


No comments:

Post a Comment